Thursday, April 2, 2015

What If I Am A Monster And Did Not Know It?



"It turns out that the monster underneath the bed is me"

The older I get the more I realize I have to face the evil in me.  Probably one of the greatest evils today is that of self hatred.  Self rejection is one of the greatest enemies to the spiritual life because it stands against the voice of heaven that calls us "God's Beloved."  Even in my pride when I disclose my faults to others, I am justifying myself more than exposing my faults.  The monster keeps returning over and over and won't leave.

If God is truth then God certainly loves honesty.  Can we be honest about ourselves?  There is no escaping me.  I yell for help because a monster is chasing after me.  If the monster was from without, I could run and hide.  But there is no where to run.  There is no where to hide.  The monster that is chasing me comes from within.

But out of the darkness comes a voice.  The voice calms the storm from within and says, "Let nothing disturb you.  Let nothing frighten you.  I AM enough!"

No comments:

Post a Comment