Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Fr. Bede Griffiths - Listening to Rhythms of your Body, the Spirit of God, and the World



"My monastery is the world"  -  Fr. Bede Griffith

I have recently discovered the writings of Bede Griffith.  I am reading Bede Griffith: Life in Dialogue and a friend told me to watch a you tube video of Fr. Griffith called "Discovery of the Feminine."  We have focused so much on a masculine form of Christianity that we have missed the nurturing mother side of the faith.

I also love Bede's very creational, sacramental approach which deals with the mystery of God in us.  He profoundly says the body knows before the mind and the question is are we paying attention to what our body is trying to tell us.  There are patterns to the working of the Holy Spirit that penetrates our dark world and bring order out of the disorder.  Even in the darkness, annihilation often leads to resurrection.

Bede Griffith speaks about the wholeness of life which has many faces from darkness to light and suffering to ecstasy.  Griffith says,

"The hidden mystery behind all the pain and suffering and disaster of the world is a tremendous ocean of love.  And I am sure when we die we shall discover this ocean of love which is hidden from us now" (p.9).

"God has brought me to my knees and made me acknowledge my own nothingness, and out of that knowledge I have been reborn.  I was no longer the center of my life and therefore I could see God in everything" (p.45).


No comments:

Post a Comment