Monday, April 20, 2015

Abandonment to God

A book on my "want to read some day list" is Oswald Chambers biography Abandonment
to God. We want to be abandoned to God but the cross also means we have to go through abandonment.  It only through abandonment that we get to know Christ fully.

We see this modeled in the life of Israel that knew abandonment in three stages or movements.  The first was their calling where they experienced revelation and grace from God.  Then they went through a withdrawal of God's grace where they were wounded, felt deserted by God, and suffered great inner loss and pain.  Finally Israel experienced a return to God from separation to union with God.

God continually works through this painful process that both purifies and restores, empties and heals.  Crucifixion comes before resurrection and abandonment before close union with God.  The first movement of God's Spirit within us is repentance which eventually leads to intercession for others.  Prayer for others may be prayer for one particular person or may be for the whole world.

My prayer today is simply this to God:

"I offer myself to you O God.
To You and all I am and all I have.
I'm completely Yours God.
Do with me whatever You will."

No comments:

Post a Comment