Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Jupiter Ascending



Doctor:  Nurse, are you sure this is the right one?

Nurse:  Yes, it's her.

Doctor: Good, kill her!

(quotes from the movie Jupiter Ascending)


I am a huge sci-fi fan but I have not seen the new movie Jupiter Ascending yet.  I will probably buy it when it comes out and watch it then.  In the movie, one would think a doctor comes to bring life and not death.  But even doctors may surprise us at times.  God also comes as the great physician to heal our souls but there has to be a death first.  A death to our selfish ways and putting our self above others.

The Psalmist asks the question, "Who will ascend the hill of the Lord?"  We all want to ascend and enter God's holy city.  The problem is we want to ascend the hill of Calvary without passing through the cross.  Many of us including myself is like a spiritual glutton who wants divine blessings without their responsibilities.  We seek the hand of God but not necessarily the face of God.  We want a few exterior changes almost like getting a cosmetic face lift without the blasting furnace that changes the interior and the heart.

So if we are really going to walk the path of the cross and die to self and carry crosses, then this will be the narrow and most difficult road of all.  It will have tremendous cost to our self and especially our ego and pride which must perish.  Can I prefer a day with the worst of persons to teach me obedience to Christ rather than choosing people I am familiar with and make me feel comfortable?  Can God's providences order my steps rather than the ups and downs of life's circumstances?  As long as I have on to and try to save myself, I give the Devil place to bring disorder and confusion to my life.  What I am learning is the more I descend, the more Christ ascends within me.

No comments:

Post a Comment