Thursday, February 12, 2015

Wounded By Love



"There is one thing, O Christ, that I want, one thing I desire, one thing I ask for, and that is to be with You"  -  Elder Porphyrios

An amazing life and book to read is the life and wisdom of Elder Porphyrios.  He speaks about once we have been wounded by the love of God, we will be transformed into the likeness of Jesus who knew all about suffering.  Today I reflect upon how God has us enter into the sufferings of others.

I spent this morning at the Nursing Home and visited with an elderly crippled man who was a Korean war veteran.  He spoke of wisdom ancient and past and then told me the story of how he served one day in the Korean war.  He was drafted and his first day was his last day because the war ended the next day.  What a story of God's grace.  I love the wit and wisdom of the older generation.  Their life stories and history.  I love their character and persevering spirit.  I've always thought when an old person dies, we lose a valuable treasure that is irreplaceable.  We lose a storehouse of wealth as if a library has burned down.

We started a contemporary worship service on Sunday nights and I love how the teens are beginning to come and participate.  One teen may share their burdens or prayers with us.  Another teen dances for the Lord and another wants to paint inspirationally during the worship.  I love the youthful zeal these young people bring to our evening worship service.  The Eastern Orthodox are also trying to start a church in a nearby town.  We need many more churches started so I am enthusiastically excited of the possibility of an Eastern Orthodox Church nearby.  Often one has to drive for an hour or more just to find the closest one near you.

So later in the morning, the Eastern Orthodox priest led us in a word about suffering and what it means to enter into Christ's suffering.  If there is one common experience we all can relate to it is suffering.  The season of Lent is coming up and this is a time of prayer, fasting, preparation for Easter, and learning a little more about what it my means to suffer.  It's one thing when suffering is forced upon us but its quite another to voluntarily give yourself over to suffering.  Even suffering can be a means of God's grace touching our life and taking us deeper on this journey of faith in community.

When I was leaving the house, a little boy who never even came in the room nor do I know even how he knew my name cried out with a loud voice across the room, "Chris, don't leave . . . Chris, don't leave."  I was transported back in a flash of a powerful spiritual experience I had many years ago when I sensed God telling me over and over, "Why do you want to leave my presence?"  Here was this little boy I did not even know or recognize calling out my name desperately like it was a life and death matter.  I turned towards him and he ran to me and said "I must kiss you before you leave."  I reached my head down while he outstretched his arms and grabbed my neck and kissed me on the check.  It was like Jesus had reached down from heaven and kissed me on the cheek.

I am humbled and amazed at the ordinary miracles God gives us everyday and some that simply do not hardly ever happen.  So I enter in today the ancient prayer of "Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me.  Have mercy on me.  Have mercy on me."  I enter into this season of prayer like a little child!

No comments:

Post a Comment