Saturday, May 2, 2015

Mystical Sleep



Sleep is the crawl space between two worlds

I am reading and reflecting on Pavel Florensky's "At the Crossroads of Science and Mysticism."  The rhythm of sleep takes a third of our life.  I am ready to sleep, dream, and rest.  Night time consciousness is the place of revelation and wisdom.  It is where the divine Sophia of God, the God who holds us like a mother cradling her infant in nurturing arms.  My soul is touched by the breath of God while I sleep.  Often the Lord wakes me up not to disturb my rest but to bring me to my knees in prayer for others.  This divine feminine invites us to be a childlike soul for without sleep, our souls would not be nourished or revitalized.

The Mother of God calls me to rest and enter once again the maternal womb.  The womb is open and not closed.  Even God opened Mary's womb to birth a new creation.  A closed womb became an open womb just like later a closed tomb did the unthinkable and became an open tomb.  In this new reality everything becomes lucid and bright.  Beauty, wonder, and mystery are everywhere.  The heavens are open and even the angels join us in our celestial praise.  One discovers that everything in life is connected to the grand architect of life.  Duality fades as the answer to Christ prayer in John seventeen appears over and over as we become one with the Creator.

I'm reminded of a homily by Thomas Merton that says,

"All the perfections of created things are also in God;
and therefore He is once Father and Mother.
As Father He stands in solitary might surrounded by darkness.
As Mother His shining is diffused, embracing all His creatures
with merciful tenderness and light"

(A Book of Hours, p.194)

No comments:

Post a Comment