Wednesday, June 1, 2011

What in Hell Do You Want?



IT IS UNWISE FOR CHRISTIANS TO CLAIM ANY KNOWLEDGE OF EITHER THE FURNITURE OF HEAVEN OR OF THE TEMPERATURE OF HELL - Reinhold Neibuhr


There are many new discussions today concerning heaven and hell. Will both be forever? Are either our final destinations? There is a frenzy of books being published in response to Rob Bell's book "Love Wins." Rob believes in heaven and hell so what is all the concern about? Two points Bell raises is the possibilities that Hell is not forever (and one wonders is heaven forever then?) and will God's love win in the end so that all end up in heaven in the end? The early church father Origen held up his own possibilities in the second century for a blessed hope that all of creation and God's creatures are redeemed in the final end. So what Bell is doing is really not different or new. It just so happens that he is a mega-church pastor and mega-church pastors are scrutinized and put on a pedestal more than others these days.

Whether people agree with Bell or not, I am reminded of knocking on a man's door and he asked me a question I did not want to answer at that time. He asked, "What in Hell do you want?" I know he was asking me a different kind of question but I want to answer it in a very concrete way (even if concrete is not stylish these days). What in Hell do I want? Nothing! I have come to the conclusion that there is nothing that the Devil has to offer that is better than God. Nothing! The only power Satan has over us is the power we give him.

So to Rob Bell's question, "Does God get what He wants?" All I can answer and say "Yes God does to those who say yes to Him."

No comments:

Post a Comment