Friday, June 3, 2011

Faith Talks Anyone?



HAPPY IS THE MONK WHO VIEWS THE WELFARE AND PROGRESS OF ALL MEN WITH AS MUCH JOY AS IT WERE HIS OWN - Evagrius Ponticus

I love my kids! Did I tell you I love my kids? One of the most important spiritual development things my wife Sandy and I do as parents is periodically sit down and have faith talks with our children. It is here that we pray together, listen to each others concerns and life issues, and talk about how our faith in Christ interacts with our life concerns.

If there is one thing disciples of Jesus and Jesus followers need today are a whole lot more spiritual conversations. Not only have most families missed this but especially many in the church have done the same. One of the great classics of western spirituality for fifteen hundred years has been John Cassian's "The Conferences." This ancient conversation was all about how to be a monk and live a holy life before God. Don't we need more new monks today? Where is the concern for holiness among God's people today?

No comments:

Post a Comment