Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Healing Through Forgiveness




FORGIVENESS IS NOT AN OPTION

There are many followers of Jesus today who walk around and wonder why everything seems to go wrong in their life. Why does it seem like I am cursed or I am so oppressed all the time? There may be many factors and reasons for what is going on, but under the surface, one that is rarely looked at is the issue of buried resentment, unforgiveness, and bitterness. Someone hurt me and now I am withholding forgiveness is some way to punish the offender. But the person we punish the most is ourselves when we do this.

I was speaking to a woman recently who was in the process of dying that needed to let some things go. When she did, she experienced such a release of peace and fulfillment. She said to me, "Why did I hang on to this stuff for so long if I only knew that the person I was going to set free through forgiveness was myself!"

Why do we hang on to stuff for so long? Is there someone you need to extend mercy and forgiveness too?

No comments:

Post a Comment