Thursday, July 13, 2017

Benedictine Monastery: Day Two




I walked into the empty room and the room spoke to me.
The room said, "Don't evaluate or judge anything, just be with me."
I stood still in wonder for what seemed like an eternal second.
I was both startled and dazzled by the brightness of the darkness in the moment.

Like a veil that lifted off me for a moment, everything was on fire by eternity.
Everything still yet in motion giving praise to the maker of heaven and earth.
I was caught up in a celestial choir whose song filled the spaces between the empty spaces.
Suddenly the ordinary was holy and all matter and time entered into a sweet hush of divinity.

I am simply in awe on this silent retreat in the scenic beautiful area of Beech Grove Indiana. This is a monastery for nuns and there are only two of us men on retreat besides the Spiritual director who is Catholic priest. The other man on retreat with me is a minister of thirty plus years like me and comes out of the same Stone-Campbell tradition that I am from. Silence is not easy for me but I do hope I get to talk to Jim some more before this retreat is over.

I ate lunch in holy silence today. Everyone in silence seems so serious. I am reminded in the moment that God also loves laughter and playfulness. So here is my prayer today:

O humorous, playful, fun-loving God, knock me over with your ridiculous creations.
Roll me in the laughter that the world will never understand.
Push me over the edge of my seriousness into your laughing, loving arms. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment