Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Strange World of Funerals

"I HAVE BEEN CRUCIFIED WITH CHRIST AND IT IS NO LONGER I WHO LIVE, BUT IT IS CHRIST WHO LIVES IN ME" (Galatians 2:20)


I went to a funeral this week.  Some people cried and others nodded their heads.  Here was a man who lived well for God and died well at 93.  Here was a man whose life was marked by Christ.  The world loves professionals, expertise, style, and image.  But there was a man whose strength was found in weakness and who embraced his brokeness as he celebrated his life in Christ.  Funerals have a way of haunting us as we live each day closer than the next to the grave.  Here is the question that haunts me: "If I spend most of my time trying to please others and avoiding loss, how will I ever gain the way of Christ?"

No comments:

Post a Comment