Saturday, April 21, 2012

Taste and See that the Lord is Good



"THE GOSPEL IS NOT A TRUTH AMONG OTHER TRUTHS.  RATHER, IT SETS A QUESTION-MARK AGAINST ALL TRUTHS"  -  Karl Barth

The cross of Christ questions all my answers.  It shakes me from my comfortable lifestyle.  It offends my sensibilities and challenges my need to be right.  We think we are in charge but it only takes a small crises out of our control to show we are only fooling ourselves.

The cross of Christ disturbs our shallowness and comforts our brokeness.  The whole Christian life is one of death, burial, and resurrection.  Death to selfishness and burial of our respectability and resurrection of God's power in our weaknesses. 

What shall I say of the woman who was given a death sentence this month by the medical community only to run face long into the Lion of Judah who healed her of her disease. 

What shall I say of my friend who told me this week his marriage was over and all I could do was point him to the cross and tell him, "If his marriage is saved, it will only be through brokeness, humility, vulnerability, and God's healing love."

What shall I say of those who are locked up in prison who Today have discovered a freedom in Christ that gives them hope for tommorow.  One woman during the communion celebration interupted the service so that she could confess her sins and give her life to Christ.  Seven others like her followed suit and said they wanted to follow Christ in baptism and experience a resurrected life for God.

I am amazed and dumbfounded.  What more can I say?

No comments:

Post a Comment