Monday, April 23, 2012

The Christ-Haunted Church



"DOES NOT OUR PREACHING CONTAIN TOO MUCH OF OUR OWN OPINIONS AND CONVICTIONS AND TOO LITTLE OF JESUS CHRIST?"  - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

When it comes to discipleship and Christians living a cross-shaped life for God, it is difficult to find such men and women.  Two Christians writing from very different contexts and coming at things very differently are Soren Kierkegaard and Dietrich Bonhoeffer.  Both of these men lived during times when everyone thought they were a Christian and very few were living it.  Both of these men wrote long treatises challenging Christians from every decade to be more like Christ in their every day habits.  Kierkegaard died almost unnoticed during his day and Bonhoeffer died as a war criminal by Adolf Hitler.

So here is the little exercise I am doing.  I am reading Kierkegaard's "Training in Christianity" along side Bonhoeffer's "The Cost of Discipleship."  Both offer visions of what it means to be counter-cultural Christians and both offer critiques of a church that has subcumbed to religious pride and congratulating itself while the world burns around it.  Where this little exercise will lead I do not know.  All I know is I must follow it wherever it leads just like I follow Christ but never know where that is taking me like the wind that blows wherever it wills.

No comments:

Post a Comment