Saturday, January 31, 2015

Whose Got Your Back?



"The are only two kinds of people in the world.  The pushers and the pushed.  Which are you?"

My experience of living on the East Coast bore this out between people who got walked on and walked over and those who were doing the walking.  We feel like we have to push back.  We feel like if we don't shove our way through life, someone else will get in front of us.  We think if everybody else is going through life at a hundred and twenty miles per hour then so must I.  But this is the grand illusion and lies we tell ourselves.  This is not the life God has created us for or has called us to live.

Maybe between all the isolation and loneliness in life, people feel like nobody has their backs.  We have lost our way and feel empty and lost ourselves.  What is the deeper life God is calling us to beyond and above the hustle and bustle of life?  What does the hidden life in Christ mean in a world that cares little for uniqueness and risky vulnerable intimacy?

I am in a season of meditating and contemplating the deeper and hidden meanings from God's Word.  Skimming the surface of Scripture or doing Bible Study simply does not satisfy my soul's deep hunger and thirst after God anymore.  I must dig deeper into the hidden treasures of God's Word if I am to take hold of the life that God has created every one of us to live but so few of us actually experience.

I love the beauty and mystery of Psalm 139.  There is knowledge here that few posses.  God is waiting there to meet us in the darkness to light our path for those daring adventurers who are willing to make the journey.  We discover treasures both old and new and light that shows we are wonderfully and fearfully made.  Are we willing to search the scriptures to know the heart of God?  Will we let God test us and try our anxious thoughts?  Will we change once God has shown us our deepest secrets and sins of our hearts?

What has captivated my holy curiosity are verses four through six: 

"For there is not a word on my tongue, but behold, O Lord, You know it altogether.
You have hedged me behind and before, and laid your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is high, I cannot attain it"
(Psalm 139:4-6)

God knows me better than myself.  God is beside me, with me, in me, goes before me and has my back.  I can't tell you how many times I would be dead by now if it were not for the love and protection of God who always knows us and the things around us more than we could ever know or imagine. 

The Psalmist loves God and thinks he knows God but he is like Job or Isaiah who has such a vision of God that he realizes he really does not understand or know God like he thought.  As humans, we can know things without loving things.  We separate knowing from loving but not with God.  God's knowing and loving are indistinguishable.  There are great hidden secrets and depth of these scriptures and there is never a moment when God knows but doesn't love, or loves and doesn't know.   In God through Christ I am discovering that knowledge and love are united or reunited in God.  This is a fore taste of seeing like heaven sees and living like a citizen of heaven on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment