Monday, May 10, 2010

Spiritual Laws of Discipleship

The church and its people need spiritual mentors and coaches. I was with an old friend of mine today who seems like an old harmless man but delivers powerful words for those who have ears to hear. He was talking to me about seven spiritual laws on giving from Second Corinthians chapter nine. I like the word "spiritual" because it's not based upon the material much less the legal. I like the word "laws" because these are not consumer designed or optional bur demand obedience to God's Word and his ways.

As I read the text, verse 14 jumped off the page for me. Generous giving is linked to the response of the person to glorify God by praying for the person who gave to you. I have been in the church my whole life and have never heard one message or lesson on this specific verse or text of Scripture. And there it was in all its simplicity and beauty. Our response to generous sharing or giving is to praise God and pray for the person who gives to us. How have we missed that? Should we not teach this to others?

Is there some other spiritual law of discipleship that you have learned or uncovered?

Let us know . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment