Saturday, May 15, 2010

Monster Christianity




Christianity has become a big and scary thing for some people. Everything from the big bad Christians are trying to take over the government and dominate the world to some of the worse monsters I have ever run into were people who called themselves Christians.

For too long we have focused on church growth and evangelism and not discipleship. Is it little wonder that we have a form of Christianity that more follows Paul's list in the Bible of the flesh rather than the Spirit? Discipleship can not be an option any more for those who say they are followers of Jesus. Discipleship requires great sacrifice and is essential to spiritual formation and faithful Christian living.

I grew up watching monster movies. When everyone was playing cowboys and Indians, I was playing Planet of the Apes. When kids were playing Batman and Superman, I was playing Vampires and Werewolves. Vampire Christianity is all around me. Just give me a little of your blood Jesus but not too much because I want to suck the life out of everything in this world. Vampires used to scare me. Now they don't for the walking dead are all around me.

But I will say werewolves still scare me. I see so much evil in the world today and I'm scared. I'm also scared of my own spiritual complacency, moral compromises, and cowardice as a disciple of Jesus. So when I go to bed at night, I am not afraid that I will be killed by a werewolf, I am afraid of becoming one.

No comments:

Post a Comment