Sunday, September 18, 2011

Favorite Song

First John says not to love in word or in talk, but in deed and in truth.  I have been meditating on what that means for a couple of weeks, especially the in truth part.  Knowing deeds is the easy part.  As far as "in truth," I am beginning to think of this as from the heart and in the intentions.

This leads me to this:  I can remember from at least my teenage years being conscious of seeking the perfect song.  Now, when I listen to music, I do not just listen to the words or the sounds, I listen for the mood, the spirit of the song, if you will.  I really did not understand this until recently.  In fact, I can think of times in my life where the song had a direct spiritual impact (not saying good or bad as each time could be either or a little of both).  Another similar thought would be about the principle of something is the spirit of it(side note).

The end of 2008 and into 2009, something amazing was happening to me in terms of God that I cannot speak of much yet, but I can say that in May of 2009, I found the song that is the most intimate, pertinent song to me that I have ever heard.  It is the song that you might say is my Anthem.  Interestingly, I have known of the band and this particular album since at least 2003.  It is the song This Love by the Christian Rock band Stavesacre.  The album is Speakeasy and is available, but I could not find a youtube with the whole song, but this video has it at the beginning.  So what's amazing about the timing for me to hear this song.  Not only in terms of my own life, but it seems the lyrics are really speaking to the times in which we live.  Example: 

Revolution is just a word
it loses more each time its heard
won't mean a thing until it hurts
is anyone out there

Passion hoping to find
Someplace safe for it to rise

This love is real
it's pure, this love endures
in burning hearts
taking sides
it sends and it divides
it awakens you
or you sleep as others do
This Love

Now, they are speaking about God's Love, but love by definition, to impose it onto my favorite quote, is unkillable (Truth is unkillable, Balthasar Hubmaier, Anabaptist Martyr).  Do we take love as deliberate action as the most powerful force in all of creation?  If love cannot be defeated, then what else is there?  Evil by definition cannot prevail as since it takes life instead of increasing it, it is temporary.  Evil may seem to be more prevalent, but is it not more that it is more overt, whereas love is quiet and persistent and willing to go beyond itself for the sake of the other?  Well, these are just some random thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment