Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Missing God at the Movies




"If the Devil is in the details, where is God?"

I went excitedly to see the big block buster movie 'Noah.'  I listened to other Christians concerns and controversy over the movie before the movie even came out and I wanted to see it for myself.  I went with my twin brother to the movie and I noticed all the people in front of me were going to see the movie "God's not dead."  Rather than paying closer attention to that detail, I quickly thought, low budget Christian movie versus big budget big actor movie.  The decision was easy to make at the moment with my fallen reason not paying attention to the details of what God might be telling me in all this.  So I went to see the two and a half hour long movie Noah and walked out after the first hour. 

Why? I simply was overwhelmingly bored and thought, if the first hour is this bad, why should I go through another hour and half of it?  A few days later I saw the movie "God's not dead" and was deeply encouraged and moved by the message.  It was by far the best movie Pureflix has ever produced.  I hope this trend continues in the future.  I was also amazed at Kevin Sorbo's great performance.  He will not win any awards for this politically incorrect made for Christians to watch movie but I was mesmerized by his portrayal of a college atheist professor.  I know the atheist community will be upset over this portrayal and yet I thought it was quite accurate of the intellectual elitism one often runs into at the university level whether that be an atheist, Christian, or any other intellectually seasoned teacher who misses the Bible's admonition that 'knowledge puffs up but love builds up.'

So the next time you go to the movies, pay attention to the details, maybe it's not the Devil in the details but God?

No comments:

Post a Comment