Monday, May 14, 2012

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the State Capital



CHRISTIANS HAVE SO EMBRACED PARTICIPATION IN THE 'EARTHLY CITY' THAT THEY HAVE LOST THEIR PASSPORT TO THE 'CITY OF GOD'  -  James K. A. Smith

I have a passport to leave the United States which I have not used.  My daughter went to Haiti this year on a mission trip but I am prayerfully waiting for the day to use my passport and minister and serve others in another country.  I remember growing up in the church as a boy being taught that "Christians can be so heavenly minded that they are no earthly good."  What I have seen in my later part of life that Christians are so earthly minded that they are no heavenly good."

Here are some questions for contemporary Christians to explore:

1.  How do the politics of Jesus differ from our worldly politics?
2.  How does Christ's call to discipleship touch our politics?
3.  How can the church both transform the system we live in while transforming the heart?
4.  Which empire are we serving, God's or our country?
5.  Which are more important to us?  Principles like democracy, justice, and freedom or embodied worship, the cross, and suffering discipleship?

No comments:

Post a Comment