Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Jesus File



"ILLUSIONS MISTAKEN FOR TRUTH ARE THE PAVEMENT UNDER OUR FEET"
 -  The Poisonwood Bible

There are many illusions that even Christians fall prey to.  One pervasive one today is the American empire is what is for right and good in the world and will somehow even usher in the final judgment of Christ and His Kingdom.  How many times do we hear that if the right political candidates do not get democratically elected, then we are all doomed.  This kind of apocalyptic nay-saying has nothing to do with what Scripture teaches in regards to Jesus and the final judgment.

I was going to someone's house this week and I got bitten by a dog (in the face no less).  I was under the illusion that if I ever encounted an attacking dog, I could beat it and if need be, kill it.  I would be the victor with the dead dog held in my arms and hands.  What I realized this week is the dog bite I received was only a warning or a "back off" bite.  It was certainly not an all out attack.  If this dog wanted to, I would be the one dead in the jaws of the beast (the dog) rather than the other way around.  This whole incident has changed my mind and broken a long-held illusion of mine.

Illusions?  Do you have any?  And if it's an illusion, how would you know anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment